eLearning is an alternative to classroom instruction. With eLearning, students access their schoolwork online and complete the lessons outside the classroom.
The Indiana Department of Education has approved eLearning as a way to make up missed instruction on days when schools must close due to snow or other weather conditions.
*For the 2019-2020 school year, there are no built-in snow days. This means the first day school is canceled it is an automatic eLearning day for P-H-M teachers and students.
Because P-H-M has eLearning in place for that purpose, families can plan with confidence, knowing that winter weather won’t affect their summer plans. The last scheduled day of school is Wednesday, June 5, 2019 and will not change. Click here to see the full 2019-2020 school year calendar.
Another eLearning benefit: P-H-M students typically get out of school for the summer earlier than students in other area districts who make up their missed days at the end of the school year!
Elementary Students use Google Classroom to access eLearning assignments
If you are an elementary parent and do not have access to a computer or laptop at home for your elementary school student, the Learning Division makes Chromebooks available to families. Communication on how to borrow a Chromebook from P-H-M is provided by the Learning Division to families around late October/early November.
- Elementary teachers will provide eLearning lessons on Google Classroom
- Click here to access Google Classroom instructions
Middle & High School Students use their Chromebooks to access eLearning assignments on Canvas
- Canvas is the program where middle & high school classwork is posted online
- Canvas allows students and parents to have separate accounts with unique log-ins
- Canvas runs on any browser (Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox) and does not require downloading or installation
- In most cases students will have from two days (middle and high school) to five days (elementary) to complete the work assigned to them on an eLearning day
- Printing eLearning worksheets or pages is not necessary; written assignments can be completed by hand on paper
- Teachers will be available via email and Canvas messaging to answer questions and help students on eLearning days
- eLearning is adaptable for students who use special education services and those who participate in the English as a New Language program
All eLearning lessons are created and posted by the students’ own teachers, and the teachers review all eLearning completed by students, providing them with grades, scores, or feedback, as appropriate.
We encourage parents to test their Canvas log-ins now and become familiar with the program before the snow flies!
P-H-M parents are issued Skyward log-in information in a letter sent by the school. Use your Skyward credentials (username and password) on the Canvas log-in page to access your student’s information. For instructions on how to connect your Skyward and Canvas log-ins, please click here.
Get help with your Skyward & Canvas accounts by emailing email@example.com.
Need more help?
Watch the slideshow above, then visit the Canvas Help Page!
Here is a Tip Sheet for using Canvas and setting your preferences for notifications.