SAFETY IS OUR TOP PRIORITY!
Penn-Harris-Madison is absolutely committed to maintaining safe schools.
Maintaining safe schools is fundamental to the district’s learning mission and it is a paramount responsibility to the parents who entrust their children to us.
Our efforts are guided by the P-H-M SAFETY MISSION STATEMENT:
Penn-Harris-Madison has developed effective school safety plans and crisis management plans. We will utilize an ongoing process to update district-wide safety plans that includes in-service training, crisis preparation, a district safety committee and student/parent participation. Through research, planning, implementation and follow-up, and a coordinated effort among students, parents, educators and community members, P-H-M will continue to have safe schools that support student learning.
Mike Seger serves as P-H-M’s Director of Safety and Student Services
Seger is recognized as a national expert in the field of school safety. He works closely with the entire community—district administration and staff, parents and students, emergency responders and community partners—to put in place the practices, technology, and building design that help to make P-H-M schools among the safest in the nation.
If you have questions about school safety contact Director of Safety and Student Services Mike Seger at (574) 258-9551.
PHM SAFETY AWARDS AND PUBLICATIONS
Penn-Harris-Madison has been recognized as a local, regional, and national leader in school safety initiatives, including:
- Indiana State Suicide and Prevention Council
- Educational Interiors Showcase: Three Layer Security Design
- GOV 30 Award
- Security Today Cover Story
- Honeywell Users Group Advisor
SAFE SCHOOL HELPLINE
If you see something, say something! The Safe School Helpline is a convenient, confidential way for anyone to report information about situations that might affect safety at any P-H-M school or building. You can call the number any time of the day or night to report concerns about unsafe or potentially disruptive activities or situations including drug or alcohol abuse, weapons, harassment, bullying or threats. All calls are completely confidential.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR OUR PARENTS
- IN AN EMERGENCY, look here first for P-H-M contact information and communication protocols to keep parents informed in an emergency.
- Here are answers to frequently asked questions about school emergencies
- What parents can do to help schools keep their children safe during an emergency
- Tips for Parents includes ways parents can support safety efforts at home and at school
- The Safety Suggestions Form can be used by parents to share ideas for keeping students safe
ADDITIONAL PARENT RESOURCES
Bus Transportation Safety
Getting to School Safely This 12 minute video provides a Top Ten list of driving hazards that parents and students should be aware of during drop off/pickup times
Bus Transportation Safety This brochure published by P-H-M includes specific guidelines all our bus riders should know about
Internet Safety and Social Media
Student Behavior and Bullying Prevention
Drug Use & Addiction
- A collection of websites with helpful information for parents and others about safety
ZIKA VIRUS INFORMATION
SAFETY TRAINING FOR EDUCATORS AND OTHER PROFESSIONALS
P-H-M partners with private, commercial, and governmental agencies to bring training opportunities to its staff and others in the region.
- Safety training for P-H-M staff members
- OSHA training is available through this free online resource
- Safety professionals are invited to register for these upcoming events: