Parents are part of the P-H-M Triangle of Success!
The P-H-M Forum is made up of parent volunteer representatives from each of our 15 P-H-M schools. The group meets the second Wednesday every month (that school is in session) with District Superintendent Dr. Jerry Thacker and various administrators for topical school system discussions.
The school representatives, plus elected board members, facilitate a flow of information between parents and district administration. While there are only two voting representatives per grade school, three for each intermediate school, and four representing Penn High School, all Forum meetings are open to anyone with a child enrolled in the P-H-M district!
The Exceptional Education Forum is a branch of the P-H-M Forum and specifically designed to open communication pathways between parents of Exceptional Education students and the Director of Exceptional Education Gena Todd. Click here for meeting dates and times.
Get the facts and gain insights, then share what you know!
Each month a new topic is discussed. The topics are voted on by Forum members the year prior. School and District Administrators most familiar with the topics give the presentations. Past sessions have included The Healthy Foods Initiative, student assessment and Common Core, gifted and talented programs, P-H-M summer programs, and Penn High School Academies. Browse the topics below planned for 2020-2021 school year.
After each meeting, it is the representatives' responsibility to share what they have learned with their school community via a school or PTO website, Facebook or Yahoo Group, PTO meeting, newsletter, etc. If you would like to be a voting representative for your school during this or the upcoming school year, please contact your principal, PTO president, or a Forum board member. Alternatively, if your schedule does not allow you to attend most meetings, or if there are no voting member vacancies at your school, consider volunteering as a substitute in case one of your Forum representatives is unable to attend a meeting.
FORUM OFFICERS SERVING IN 2020-2021
- President: Jennifer Hanyzewski, Grissom Middle School
- Vice President: Karen Prymak-Oldick, Penn High School
- Secretary: Raenelle Hamilton, Horizon Elementary
Forum’s Board of Directors welcomes parent inquiries!
Want to get in touch with us and learn more about Forum … send us a message on Facebook.
Social Media Contact List
In line with its mission to help P-H-M parents stay informed, Forum maintains a list of social media sites used by the schools and principals, and the schools’ PTA/PTOs. There you will find links to websites, Facebook pages, and Twitter accounts.
2019-2020 Meetings and Scheduled Topics
HIGH-INTEREST TOPICS ♦ NEED-TO-KNOW INFORMATION ♦ ENGAGING Q&A
Forum meetings take place from Noon – 1:00 p.m. on the first Wednesday of the month (except when that falls on a time when P-H-M is on a break). Under normal circumstances, the meetings are hosted at the Educational Services Center (55900 Bittersweet Road, Mishawaka, IN 46545). However, due to COVID-19 safety precautions that will be implemented by P-H-M Administration for the beginning of the 2020-2021 school year, attendees will join Forum meetings virtually. Information regarding the virtual meetings will be sent by Forum officers before the date of the meeting. We hope to resume in person meetings possibly the second semester of the school year.
Below is the tentative topic schedule for the 2020-2021 school year:
- September 2, 2020: STATE OF THE SCHOOLS ADDRESS
- Speaker: Dr. Jerry Thacker, Superintendent of Schools
- Presentation: P-H-M Return to Learn
- October 7, 2020: P-H-M’s Social-Emotional Curriculum
- Guest Speaker: Director of SEL Dr. Heather Jenny Sears
- Presentation: Social-Emotional Learning & Mental Health Updates
November 4, 2020: Naviance Program
- Guest Speakers: Director of Social Emotional Learning Dr. Heather Jenny Sears and Penn High School Director of Counseling John Westra
- Presentation: Naviance
- December 2, 2020: Middle School & Penn High School Discipline Policies
- Guest Speakers: Penn Assoc. Principal Randy Williams and Schmucker Middle School Principal Lavon Dean-Null
- Presentation: Student Behavior
January 6, 2021: Update on Implementation of the New Math Curriculum
Guest Speakers: Asst. Supt. of Instruction Dr. Heather Short, Director of Talent Acquisition & Development Dr. Jayson Snyder, and Penn High School Asst. Principal Rachel Fry
Presentation: Update on Implementation of the New Math Curriculum
- Feb. 3, 2021: Penn Unified Track
- March 3, 2021: P-H-M Wellness Policy
- Guest Speakers: Wellness Committee Members: Director of Food Services Jill Riggs, Madison Elementary School Principal Kevin McMillen, and Director of Social Emotional Learning Dr. Heather Jenny Sears will also be joining the discussion
- Presentation: Explanation of P-H-M Wellness Committee
- April 14, 2021: Tour of Penn High School Facility Upgrades
- Facilitated by Chief Operations Officer Aaron Leniski and Penn Principal Sean Galiher
- Presentation: Video tour of Penn’s new science labs and 1st floor weight room
- May 5, 2021: Visual Arts Academy & other P-H-M summer enrichment programs
- Guest Speaker: Asst. Supt. of Instruction Dr. Heather Short