Parents are part of the P-H-M Triangle of Success!
The P-H-M Forum is made up of parent volunteer representatives from each of our 15 P-H-M schools. The group meets the second Wednesday every month (that school is in session) with District Superintendent Dr. Jerry Thacker and various administrators for topical school system discussions.
The school representatives, plus elected board members, facilitate a flow of information between parents and district administration. While there are only two voting representatives per grade school, three for each intermediate school, and four representing Penn High School, all Forum meetings are open to anyone with a child enrolled in the P-H-M district!
Exceptional Education Forum is a branch of the P-H-M Forum and specifically designed to open communication pathways between parents of Exceptional Education students and the Director of Exceptional Education Gena Todd. Click here for meeting dates and times.
Get the facts and gain insights, then share what you know!
Each month a new topic is discussed. The topics are voted on by Forum members the year prior. School and District Administrators most familiar with the topics give the presentations. Past sessions have included The Healthy Foods Initiative, student assessment and Common Core, gifted and talented programs, P-H-M summer programs, and Penn High School Academies. Browse the topics below planned for 2017-2018 school year.
After each meeting, it is the representatives' responsibility to share what they have learned with their school community via a school or PTO website, Facebook or Yahoo Group, PTO meeting, newsletter, etc. If you would like to be a voting representative for your school during this or the upcoming school year, please contact your principal, PTO president, or a Forum board member. Alternatively, if your schedule does not allow you to attend most meetings, or if there are no voting member vacancies at your school, consider volunteering as a substitute in case one of your Forum representatives is unable to attend a meeting.
Forum’s Board of Directors welcomes parent inquiries!
FORUM OFFICERS SERVING IN 2017-2018
- President: Erin Murphy, Schmucker Middle School & Penn High School
- Vice President: Laura Christensen, Schmucker Middle School & Prairie Vista
- Secretary: Raenelle Hamilton, Penn High School
Want to get in touch with us and learn more about Forum … send us a message on Facebook.
Social Media Contact List
In line with its mission to help P-H-M parents stay informed, Forum maintains a list of social media sites used by the schools and principals, and the schools’ PTA/PTOs. There you will find links to websites, Facebook pages, and Twitter accounts.
2017-2018 Meetings and Scheduled Topics
HIGH-INTEREST TOPICS ♦ NEED-TO-KNOW INFORMATION ♦ ENGAGING Q&A
Forum meetings take place from Noon – 1:30 p.m. on the first Wednesday of the month and most are hosted at the Educational Services Center (55900 Bittersweet Road, Mishawaka, IN 46545), unless noted otherwise in red.
Below is the tentative topic schedule for the 2017-18 school year:
- September 6, 2017: STATE OF THE SCHOOLS ADDRESS
- Guest Speaker: Dr. Jerry Thacker, Superintendent of Schools
- Click below to watch the #PHMExcellence video highlighting the accomplishments of the School District
- October 4, 2017: New district initiative: Teacher Led Teams / Penn Athletics Student-Athlete Heat Preparedness & Staff Training
- Guest Speakers: Asst. Supt. Heather Short, Dir. of Professional Development Jayson Snyder and Lisa Duerksen, Assistant to the Principal (assigned to Bittersweet Elementary)
Guest Speakers: Aaron Lenski, Penn Athletics Director
November 1, 2017: Title I Criteria & Explanation
Guest Speaker: Walt Disney Principal Ryan Towner
- December 6, 2017: Exceptional Education
- Guest Speaker: Director of P-H-M Exceptional Education Gena Todd
- PHM Exceptional Education Department presentation
January 10, 2018: Math Curriculum Standards
- March 7, 2018: College & Career Readiness
- Guest Speakers: Penn Principal Sean Galiher, Penn Director of Guidance John Westra, and Penn Career/College Aide Sean Penney
- College & Career Readiness at Penn High School presentation
- Click here to visit the Indiana Dept. of Education website to learn more about Indiana College & Career Pathways
Thursday, March 8, 2018, 7:00 – 8:30 p.m., Schmucker Middle School cafeteria: Keeping Your Kids Safe Online/Internet Safety
Guest Speaker: St. Joseph Co. Police Cybercrime Unit Officer Eric Tamashasky
- April 11, 2018: Tour of Elkhart Area Career Center
*This meeting will take place at the Elkhart Area Career Center located at 2424 California Rd, Elkhart
- May 2, 2018: Visit Penn Art Gallery & Marketing class observance
*This meeting will take place at Penn High School