Beginning in 2022-23, schools must resume charging for meals. Click below to read the full statement:
The National School Lunch Program (NSLP) requires school food authorities to establish written administrative guidelines for meal charges. Penn Harris Madison School Corporation will adhere to the following meal charge guidelines:
- Cafeteria purchases are to be prepaid before meal service begins or at the Point of Sale either by credit or debit card or EFT using the foodservice online payment system, by cash or check at the point of sale or in the individual school office.
- A student may charge up to three (3) meals maximum (one charge per meal) as long as they establish and maintain a good credit history of making payments on their foodservice accounts.
- A staff member may charge up to $3.00 as long as they establish and maintain a good credit history of making payments on their foodservice accounts.
- A student who has charged a meal may not charge or purchase "ala carte" item(s), including extra main entrees.
- Schools may deny a meal to a student who pays reduced or full price and who does not provide the required payment for that meal following three charged meals. The student and the parent must be notified at least 24 hours in advance that future meals will be denied. The Site Leader will keep a record of notifications.
- The Site Leader or other school personnel will coordinate communications with the parent(s)/guardian(s) to resolve the matter of unpaid charges.
- If food and nutrition services staff suspects that a student may be abusing this policy, written notice will be provided to the parent(s)/guardian(s) that if he/she continues to abuse this policy, the privilege of charging meals may be refused.
- The Site leader will send home or email letters at least once each week to parents of students who have low balances. The site leader will also make phone calls at least twice a week to all parents of students who have negative balances.
- All accounts must be settled at the end of a school year. Letters will be sent home approximately five (5) days before the last day of school to students who have any negative balances. Negative balances of more than $10.00 not paid in full thirty (30) days prior to the start of the following school year will force the District to take action to collect unpaid funds by means of collection agencies, small claims court, or any other legal method deemed necessary by the District. The United States Department of Agriculture does not allow school nutrition programs to write-off debt.
- Refunds of meal account balances will be made through a check mailed to the student address on record. To request a refund call or email the Food Service Office at 574-254-2814 or email@example.com. Refunds will only be processed for balances of $20.00 or more unless the student is approved for free or reduced meals. You may request a transfer of any amount to be moved to another student account.
- This information will be shared with parents on the PHM website and through the first day of school packet. It will also be shared with appropriate school staff.
Breakfast is available at all 15 P-H-M Schools.
- Elementary: $1.25
- Middle and High School: $1.50
- Reduced Price for all eligible students: $0.30
- Click Here for Free/Reduced Application
- Adult Price: $2.50
- Elementary: $2.25
- Middle and High School: $2.50
- Reduced Price for eligible students: $0.40
- Click Here for Free/Reduced Application
- Adult Price: $4.50
Snacks & Ala Carte
Snacks at the elementary range from $.25 to $.75 each.
Ala-carte purchases at the middle and high schools range from $.50 to $3.00. Milk or juice is $.50.
Additional options for Combo meals are available at the high school priced at $2.25 to $3.00.
You can pay for child’s meals online using a debit or credit card or by cash or check at the school. Click here for more details on the payment options.
Meal Price Guidelines
The National School Lunch Program (NSLP) requires school food authorities to establish written administrative guidelines for meal charges. Penn Harris Madison School Corporation will adhere to the meal charge guidelines. Click here to read those guidelines.
*Adobe Acrobat Reader will be required to view pdf documents. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, please visit Adobe’s website, at this link www.get.adobe.com/reader/, to download your free version.