Teachers are an integral part of our “Triangle of Success” along with parents and students-- connecting with parents and students to achieve academic excellence. Excellence Happens Here!
- Penn-Harris-Madison School Corporation places a high priority on ongoing Professional Development to ensure teacher success and excellence in education.
- 100% of P-H-M’s teachers were evaluated “Effective” or “Highly Effective”
- P-H-M promotes Professional Learning Communities (PLC’s) and collaborative planning.
- P-H-M provides technology-rich learning environments in our 11 elementary schools, 3 middle schools and Penn High School.
- P-H-M values and celebrates diversity.
- P-H-M has excellent pay & benefits—the highest starting teacher salary in the area! Click for more details.
Why do our teachers love teaching at P-H-M? Click to watch the video below and learn why, then CLICK HERE TO APPLY TODAY! We’re always accepting teacher applications, so get your resume on file with us today!
Want to learn more about P-H-M Excellence? Click to watch our Excellence Happens Here video series on our YouTube Channel.
The Indiana Department of Education has consistently recognized Penn-Harris-Madison School Corporation with an “A” rating since 2011—the first year the district rating system was established. We are a suburban school district in Northern Indiana, just outside of South Bend—home to the University of North Bend, Bethel College and Indiana University South Bend. Click to learn more about the South Bend/Mishawaka area. We are about 90 miles from Chicago and 30 miles from the beautiful shores of Lake Michigan. The District covers 135 square miles serving approximately 11,100 students in 15 schools: 11 elementary, three middle and one high school. Our other points of excellence include:
- Based on Spring 2019 ILEARN and ISTEP results for grades 3-8, P-H-M is 12th in the state among public school districts (out of 292 Indiana public school corporations).
- An “A” rated school district
- Seven “A” rated schools for the 2017-18 school year
- Five “Four Star” Schools for the 2017-18 school year, as named by the IDOE are: Discovery Middle, Horizon Elementary, Northpoint Elementary, Prairie Vista Elementary and Penn High School.
More than 85% of Penn students graduate with High Honors, Academic Honors or Technical Honors
Penn was ranked 13th, the only Top #20 high school in the Michiana area, in US News & World Report’s 2018 U.S. News Best High Schools listing.
100% of our teachers are rated Effective or Highly Effective by the IDOE.
1:1 Technology for all students in the school district, at all levels: elementary, middle, and high school!
PENN HIGH SCHOOL has a 97% graduation rate—far exceeding the state’s graduation rate.
- Penn STEM Academy Leader & Biology Teacher John Gensic was recognized in October 2019 at the White House for being the 2017 national award recipient for the Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST).
- P-H-M’s Secondary Teacher of the Year Jeannie Mitchel (Penn Freshman Academy Leader & French World Languages Teacher) was named a Top 10 Finalist for IDOE’s 2019 Teacher of the Year.
- P-H-M’s Elementary Teacher of the Year Christine Austin (Walt Disney 4th grade teacher) was named among the Top 30 Finalists for IDOE’s 2019 Teacher of th Year.
Dr. Jerry Thacker has been named Indiana’s Superintendent of the Year (2012) and Indiana’s Outstanding Educator of the Year (2017 and 2013)
Dr. Thacker has also been awarded The Sagamore of the Wabash (2014), the highest honor Indiana’s governor can bestow, by then Governor Mike Pence.