Home Access Center (HAC) is a web-based program that allows parents of middle school and high school students to keep track of their child’s progress.
Parents who create a HAC account can view up-to-date information on attendance, assignments, grades and test scores. Through HAC they can also email teachers and sign up to receive automatic email alerts.
Initial login information (user name and password) is provided in a letter sent by the school to parents. If you don’t know your login information, contact the school or email HAC@phm.k12.in.us.
- This link takes you to the HAC login page.
- Here is a slide show that walks you through the program.
- The information below will help you navigate HAC’s many useful features.
Home Access Center – User Tips and FAQ’s
THERE ARE SIX BUTTONS ON THE HAC SCREEN. THEY ARE:
- Home – takes you to the Calendar
- Attendance – shows the current month, but the arrows can be used to navigate to other months. Highlighted dates have attendance information. Hovering over any highlighted date will show the marks that were entered.
- Classes – shows the current classes with their assignments and grades. Notice that you can limit the screen to just one class by choosing a class under “Show” and then clicking “Refresh View.”
- You may see X and Z grades. X is Excused and Z is Zero, meaning student did not turn in the assignment, usually. Contact the teacher for more information.
- Grades – shows the Report Card during certain times of the year. At the High School, the Transcript is also available. All students can see Test Scores which is a record of standardized test scores.
- Student Support – shows Discipline entries.
- Registration – shows the Demographic information currently in our system. If anything is incorrect, please notify the school office.
LOGINS & PASSWORDS
- Parents and students have separate logins. The login information does NOT change from one year to the next. If you lose your information, contact your school office or email HAC@phm.k12.in.us.
- Usernames are NOT case-sensitive, but passwords are.
- Students can see only their own information.
- Parents/guardians should see a list of all of their children and can choose which one to view. If this isn't happening, please contact HAC@phm.k12.in.us to get this fixed. You must include the names and ID's of your students.
- You can change your password. Click on your name in the upper right corner and choose My Account. You will need to enter your old password and then your new password twice.
The first time you log into HAC, you will be asked to set up Security Questions. Be sure you remember the answers. If someone tries to login and enters incorrect information too many times, that person will have to answer one of the questions correctly before trying to access again. If they are incorrect, they (and you) will be locked out for a period of time. If you do run into trouble, email HAC@phm.k12.in.us for help.
You can sign up for an email that will alert you with current information. If you sign up, but never receive anything, please contact your school office. It usually means we either have no email address for you or the one we have is wrong or no longer in service. This is available to all parents and Penn High School students. For students the email is sent to their GMail account.
For Gradebook Alerts, click on Classes. Then click the checkbox in front of “Alert me if my student receives an assignment average below___% or above ___%.” Put a number in one blank OR the other, not both. If you put a number in both blanks you will receive no alerts at all. Alerts are sent out automatically by the system around 6 p.m. daily and you will receive an email if there is anything in the system that fits your “rule” at the time the email is sent.
For Attendance Alerts, click on Attendance. Then click the check box in front of “Alert me when attendance is entered for my student.” You can limit the alerts to specific codes if you wish. You will receive an email if there is anything in the system that fits your “rule” at the time the email is sent.
You can also see the Alerts by clicking on your name in the upper right corner and choosing “My Alerts.”
Email questions to our technology support at HAC@phm.k12.in.us.
If the information you see on HAC or in an Email Alert is incorrect, please contact the school office or attendance secretary where your child attends school.
NOTE: A mark of UNC means the teacher has marked the student absent from class. That mark is later updated by the Attendance Secretary to reflect the information received from parents. Please allow at least 24 hours for the Attendance Secretary to make such changes before becoming concerned. You can see the current mark on HAC under Attendance.
The calendar you see when first logged into HAC is the Month View and shows assignments on the date they are due. Teachers may also add “Events” as reminders. You can switch to the Day or Week view and you have the option to hide or show individual classes.
ADDRESS and TELEPHONE INFORMATION
On the Registration tab, you can see the information we have about you in our student information system. If it is incorrect, please notify the school office so that they can update it.
If you are the Guardian of the student, you also have an Update Registration tab. You can notify us of changes that need to be made using that. Click New and follow the onscreen directions. Your school secretary will see that you’ve requested a change and they can Approve it making the change automatically. If they have questions, they will contact you.
REPORT CARDS on HAC
The grades you see on the Classes screen are “live” from the teacher's grade book and will typically match what you see on the report card.
At the end of each marking period, the grades are finalized and then the Report Card is shown on HAC on the Grades tab. This usually occurs a day or two after the report cards are sent home.
SEMESTER GRADES at PENN HIGH SCHOOL
The Semester Grade is an average of the Marking Period grade and the Exam Grade.
- On the Classes screen, you see the Marking Period Average in the upper right corner of each class.
- To see the Semester grade, click the Full View button in the upper right corner. Then you will see the Categories listed under each class' list of assignments.
- Click the Show All Averages button.
- You will see a list of the Course Averages that are applicable to THIS class. If the Exam shows 0% it means either there is no Exam in this class, or the grade has not yet been entered.
SEMESTER GRADE PROBLEMS – Penn High School Only
If the Semester grade doesn't match what you see on the “Show All Averages” screen, it's one of these problems:
- Make sure you've chosen the correct Report Card Run. 1St Semester is Report Card Run 1. 2nd Semester is Report Card Run 2.
- The teacher may have an incorrect setting. Please contact the teacher and ask them to check. Every class has to be set up manually every semester so it's easy to make a mistake.
- The teacher has the discretion to overwrite the calculated grade with a different grade and may have done so.
You can email a teacher by clicking on the teacher's name on the Week View tab of the Calendar. If you see this message, “Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed,” you need to set the default mail client on your computer. Google “set up default mail client” and choose the directions for the computer and email that you use.
If you see the Log in prompt more than once, please make sure your browser allows Cookies for this site.