We invite parents/guardians who currently have a student at Penn-Harris-Madison to apply to serve as a member of the Superintendent’s Advisory Council (SAC) as we work to build a strong community-parent-school partnership.
It is the purpose of the Superintendent’s Advisory Council to provide the school constituency the opportunity to have input into the corporation decision making process, toward the achievement of district-wide goals for valuing and celebrating diversity as well as working to end racial injustices and discrimination within our school system. The primary focus for the 2020-2021 school year will benefit our students districtwide and achieve the following:
- Enhance communication between the Superintendent and school patrons.
- Serve as a sounding board for new ideas.
- Help the Superintendent and school board anticipate and/or identify community concerns and potential solutions to those issues.
- Assist with planning issues surrounding the implementation of change.
The Superintendent’s Advisory Council (SAC) serves as an advisory group to the Superintendent and not a decision making body for the district. Because the SAC serves in an advisory role, the meetings are not subject to the Open Door Law.
For the 2020-21 school year, the SAC will hold a minimum of one meeting every month (September through May, with the exceptions of January and April) during the school year. More frequent meetings may be scheduled as the need arises. Agendas will be emailed prior to the meeting. SAC members agree to actively participate in this process by attending the monthly meetings.
We invite parents/guardians who currently have a student at Penn-Harris-Madison to apply to serve as a member of the Superintendent’s Advisory Council (SAC) as we work to build a strong community-parent-school partnership. P-H-M Community Members are welcome to apply as well.
The SAC will have up to 35 members to include designated:
- P-H-M staff members and administrators
- Parents/guardians from P-H-M’s schools & Community Members
School student representative(s)
Additional nominations from the Superintendent (community experts/members)
Members will represent the many cultures, languages, ethnicities and neighborhoods of the district’s student body. The Superintendent will appoint some Community Experts to serve. Parent/guardian and community members can apply to the SAC.
Members must apply and be accepted to serve on the SAC. Not everyone who applies will be chosen.
SAC parent/guardian members will:
• Actively participate in monthly meetings with the Superintendent Advisory Council.
• Share input on upcoming policy decisions and best practices.
• Discuss parent perspectives on topics impacting their child's school and the school district.
• Build relationships with parents from across the school district.
• Members will maintain professional and positive intent while addressing and brainstorming solutions.
• Stay within the topic framework for the meeting.
APPLY TO SERVE
All interested parties who wish to seek the potential to serve on the Superintendent’s Advisory Council for the 2020-2021 school year are encouraged to apply.
The SAC application packet requires the following be completed & returned no later than 4:30 p.m. on Friday, August 28, 2020:
- Application Form
- Two letters of recommendation
- Current resume
- Answer questions about interest in serving on the SAC
- Background check
*Click here to do it online or download to submit paper form
*The completed SAC Application packet may be emailed to Dr. Jennifer Sears (email@example.com), mailed, or dropped off at the Educational Services Center (55900 Bittersweet Rd., Mishawaka, IN 46545). All application forms and materials must be submitted to Dr. Sears no later than 4:30 p.m. on Friday, August 28, 2020.
The applicants will be reviewed by Dr. Sears and the middle school administrators. All applicants will be notified of the decisions via email by September 9, 2020.
Two ways to apply:
- Pick up a hard copy of the SAC Application packet at the ESC. Fill out the forms and return the entire completed packet to the ESC either in person, mail, or email scanned copies to Dr. Sears by the August 28th deadline.
- Click here to download the SAC Application forms (use of Adobe Acrobat is required). You can either print the form and fill it out by hand to return to the ESC; OR you can follow these steps to fill it out as a fillable PDF and email an electronic copy of your application to Dr. Sears by the August 28th deadline:
*Click the link above, the form will open in a new browser link
*Download the form & SAVE the file to your Desktop
*You will need to RENAME the file when you save it to your Desktop or it won’t save your changes when you fill out the form electronically
*Fill out the form and SAVE
*You can then email the file to Dr. Sears at firstname.lastname@example.org
*Or PRINT and mail or drop off a hard copy at the ESC at the address listed above
*The background check form or online application must also be completed by the August 28th deadline. Click here to complete the background check online or print a form.