We invite parents/guardians who currently have a student at Penn-Harris-Madison to apply to serve as a member of the Superintendent’s Advisory Council (SAC) as we work to build a strong community-parent-school partnership.
It is the purpose of the Superintendent’s Advisory Council to provide the school constituency the opportunity to have input into the corporation decision making process, toward the achievement of district-wide goals for student safety, Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) and Restorative Practices. While the primary focus for the 2019-2020 school year will be the middle schools, knowledge gained from the process will benefit our students district wide:
- Enhance communication between the Superintendent and school patrons.
- Serve as a sounding board for new ideas.
- Help the Superintendent and school board anticipate and/or identify community concerns and potential solutions to those issues.
- Assist with planning issues surrounding the implementation of change.
The Superintendent’s Advisory Council (SAC) serves as an advisory group to the Superintendent and not a decision making body for the district.
For the 2019-20 school year, the SAC will hold a minimum of one meeting every month (September through May, with the exceptions of November and April) during the school year. More frequent meetings may be scheduled as the need arises. Agendas will be emailed prior to the meeting. SAC members agree to actively participate in this process by attending the monthly meetings.
The SAC will have up to 30 members to include designated:
- P-H-M staff members and administrators
- Two parents/guardians from each of P-H-M’s three middle schools
One/Two middle school student representative(s)
Additional nominations from the Superintendent (community experts/members)
Members will represent the many cultures, languages, ethnicities and neighborhoods of the district’s student body. The Superintendent will appoint some Community Experts to serve. Parent/guardian members on the SAC will also serve on the Middle School Task Force at their respective middle school. Click here for more information on the three Middle School Task Forces for Discovery, Grissom and Schmucker.
As a vacancy occurs, the Chairperson will work to find a replacement immediately.
SAC parent/guardian members will:
- Also serve on the Middle School Task Force at their respective middle school.
- Actively participate in monthly meetings with the Superintendent Advisory Council and their respective Middle School Task Force.
- Share input on upcoming policy decisions and best practices.
- Discuss parent perspectives on topics impacting their child's school and the school district.
- Build relationships with parents from across the school district.
- Provide feedback and be responsible for sharing, promoting and communicating information to parents in our district generated through the SAC to parents in our district.
- Members will maintain professional and positive intent while addressing and brainstorming solutions.
- Stay within topic framework for the meeting.
APPLY TO SERVE
All interested parties who wish to seek the potential to serve on the Superintendent’s Advisory Council for the 2019-2020 school year are encouraged to apply.
The application packet requires the following be completed & returned no later than 4:30 p.m. on Friday, August 30, 2019:
- Application Form
- Two letters of recommendation
- Current resume
- Answer questions about interest in serving on the SAC
- Background check
*Click here to do it online or download to submit paper form
*The completed SAC Application packet may be emailed to Dr. Jennifer Sears (firstname.lastname@example.org), mailed, or dropped off at the Educational Services Center (55900 Bittersweet Rd., Mishawaka, IN 46545). All application forms and materials must be submitted to Dr. Sears no later than 4:30 p.m. on Friday, August 30, 2019.
The applicants will be reviewed by Dr. Sears and the middle school administrators. All applicants will be notified of the decisions via email by September 10, 2019.
Two ways to apply:
- Pick up a hard copy of the SAC Application packet at the ESC. Fill out the forms and return the entire completed packet to the ESC either in person, mail, or email scanned copies to Dr. Sears by the August 30th deadline.
- Click here to fill out the SAC Application forms as a fillable PDF (use of Adobe Acrobat is required). Save the completed document to your computer and email Dr. Sears the completed SAC Application forms, along with two letters of recommendation and current resume by the August 30th deadline.
*The background check form or online application must also be completed by the August 30th deadline. Click here to complete the background check online or print a form.