It is the purpose of each Middle School Task Force (MSTF) to provide the school constituency the opportunity to have input into the school’s decision making process, toward the achievement of school-wide goals for school improvement plans related to student safety, Social Emotional Learning (SEL) and Restorative Practices.
As part of our “Triangle of Success” connecting students, teachers and parents, we invite all Penn-Harris-Madison parents/guardians of their respective middle schools (Discovery, Grissom, and Schmucker) to apply to serve as a member of the MSTF as we work to build a strong community-parent-school partnership.
MSTF members will:
- Enhance communication between the principal and school patrons.
- Serve as a sounding board for new ideas.
- Help the principal anticipate and/or identify community concerns and potential solutions to those issues.
- Assist with planning issues surrounding the implementation of change.
- Assist with developing School Improvement Plan Goals related to safety and/or behavior as well assist and support the school to reach these goals.
The Middle School Task Force (MSTF) serves as an advisory group to the principal of one of the middle schools and not a decision making body for the school or district.
The MSTF will hold a minimum of one meeting every month (with some exceptions) during the 2019-2020 school year. More frequent meetings are held in September due to School Improvement Plan deadlines. Additional meetings may be scheduled as the need arises.
The MSTF will consist of members who include:
designated P-H-M middle school teachers, school counselors, staff members and administrators
Parents and/or guardians
Students representing the middle school grade levels (6th – 8th grades)
Members will represent the many cultures, languages, ethnicities and neighborhoods of the school’s student body. The principal will appoint members to serve a one-year term, beginning in the fall of 2019. Two parents from each Middle School Task Force will also serve on the Superintendent’s Task Force as determined through the application selection process for the Superintendent’s Advisory Council. For these individuals, attendance at both the Superintendent’s Advisory Council and Middle School Task Force is required.
MSTF members will:
- Actively participate in monthly meetings with the MSTF.
- Share input on upcoming school improvement decisions related to behavior, SEL, restorative practices, school improvement plans, and best practice.
- Discuss parent perspectives on topics impacting their child's school.
- Build relationships with parents in the school.
- Provide feedback and be responsible for sharing, promoting and communicating information to parents in your school and our district.
- Stay within topic framework for the meeting.
- Respect student confidentiality and FERPA (no specific students or teachers discussed).
- Members will maintain professional and positive intent while addressing issues and brainstorming solutions.
APPLY TO SERVE
All interested parties who wish to seek the potential to serve on their Middle School Task Force for the 2019-2020 school year are encouraged to apply.
The application packet requires the following be completed & returned to the respective P-H-M middle school (Discovery, Grissom and Schmucker) no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, August 30, 2019:
- Application Form
- Two letters of recommendation
- Current resume
- Answer questions about interest in serving on the SAC
- Background check
*Click here to do it online or download to submit paper form
*The completed MSTF Application packet may be emailed to the middle school principal, mailed, or dropped off at the main office of the middle school (click here for middle school contact info). All application forms and materials must be submitted to the building middle school principal no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, August 30, 2019.
Two ways to apply:
- Pick up a hard copy of the MSTF Application packet at the respective middle school. Fill out the forms and return the entire completed packet to the school either in person, mail, or email scanned copies to the principal by the August 30th deadline.
- Fill out the MSTF Application forms as a fillable PDFs (use of Adobe Acrobat is required). Save the completed document to your computer and email principal the completed SAC Application forms, along with two letters of recommendation and current resume by the August 30th deadline.
-Click for Discovery’s MTSF Application packet.
-Click for Grissom’s MTSF Application packet.
-Click for Schmucker’s MTSF Application packet.
*The background check form or online application must also be completed by the August 30th deadline. Click here to complete the background check online or print a form.